Switching over to solar power comes with a variety of advantages. You get to enjoy low energy costs while using a clean source of renewable power. Using solar energy serves as an excellent way to upgrade your home efficiency. Whether your motivation is due to personal, environmental or economic reasons, there are several things you should know before purchasing a solar power system.
How does solar power work?
Solar panels obtain their energy from the sun. It is a renewable source of power, it uses photo-voltaic systems in the solar panels to generate electricity. The solar panel absorbs the suns radiation. Later on, the silicon conductors convert the light to direct current that travels into the inverter. The inverter is responsible for changing the direct current into an alternate current that is used to run your appliances while powering your household. Solar panels are usually at their optimal functioning when they are placed directly facing the sun. There should be no barriers such as trees that block the suns radiation from hitting the solar panel surface.
How to choose your solar system.
Getting a solar system is a lifetime financial investment. You have to make sure you get it right! Before you go buying a solar panel from the numerous manufacturers, here are a few things you should do
1. Check the warranty- Solar panel warranties usually range between 10-20 years. Choose a reputable manufacturer that provides you with a long-term warranty. This way, you are protected just in case of any future mishaps.
2. Have an idea of which solar panel you need- Solar panel systems range from ground based systems to roof based systems. Research on which system is more suited for your home space.
3. Get recommendations- If you have some friends or family that have gone solar, inquire about how the experience has been and how everything is working out. They may offer you some tips and advice on how to go on with the whole process. This will save you a lot of time and energy.
How much does home solar costs?
The initial price that comes with equipment, installation, and permits may seem a whole lot pricier. Although, the real value of your investment will result to cost efficiency in your overall monthly utility bills and home costs. Most homeowners pay usually pay an average $2.87-3.84 per watt to install a solar system. The average costs of solar panels without the effect of tax credits is $16,800. After tax credits, costs range between $10,045-13,475. The costs of solar panels are continually decreasing as the years pass. If you intend on getting the exact price range of solar power, compare the different prices of homeowners in your residence to get a better quotation.
Understanding the costs per watt is a helpful unit, but what does this mean for you? The costs of installing a solar system in your home are dependent on the amount of electricity you want to generate. Therefore, a larger system will be pricier as you will need more labor and equipment during installation. On the unit of sizing, based on the average of $3.16/watt, a system of 5kW costs $11,060 after cutting tax credits. Additionally, a 6kW system costs $13,300, 8kW costs $17,700 while a 10kW system costs $22,100 after deducting the solar tax credit.
Moreover, some local governments and states offer tax incentives and rebates that reduce the costs of solar systems significantly. While big solar systems may cost a whole lot more, they will in turn result to increased overall savings. Some factors usually impact the costs of your installations, such include;
1. Equipment- Solar panels are constructed in different ways. Therefore, more efficient equipment is pricier. The benefits of this equipment are worth the generally added costs.
2. Labor and permits- Before getting your solar system installed, you have to pay a fee to get connected on to the grid. Additionally, workforce is needed to ensure proper installation.
3. Home characteristics- Your residence usually impacts your overall costs. When your roof faces south and slopes at 30 degrees, installation is usually an easy process. However, if your roofing system has different dimensions and levels, it will require additional costs.
You get to save a whole lot more while using solar energy than you might expect. On an average, homeowners may save up to $90,000 throughout a 20 year period.